Midi skirts are the perfect ladylike staple for a Spring and Summer wardrobe for their styling versatility alone. But don’t be fooled these girly duds can be easily transitioned in to Fall! Luckily, there are a multitude of silhouette options covering all body types, so here are 8 Tips and Rules for How To Style A Midi Skirt!
- Balance Your Look – If you choose a printed Midi skirt, break it up with neutral separates and matching accessories. By pairing shoes in a similar shade to your midi, it will help elongate your legs and lower half.
- Keep It Feminine – A flouncy micro pleated midi skirt screams girly, be sure to accessorize with some fabulously feminine pearls or diamond studs. Remember that micro pleats are a great option for any body type! The pleating adds modern shape to any silhouette, while also remaining unstructured, so pieces drape flatteringly on any body type by skimming across the body without hugging the unwanted spots. The flirty flounce of micro pleats also keep the eye moving across the body and styled look instead of allowing the eye to focus in a particular spot. Choose micro pleat skirts with a fabulous print to add even more camouflage! (You can search micro pleats in my top search toolbar to read my other two articles on micro pleats)
- Opt for Vertical Stripes – They help create the illusion of longer lines and are most flattering
- Ankle Straps – A neutral pair of strappy heels will always add lift and height to your look and give you that extra boost. Be sure to keep it minimal and not take away from your midi skirt, which should be a focal point of your outfit!
- Play With Proportions – Try meeting your skirt with a pair of tall boots, especially if you have a great slit, and add a belt to introduce layers. This tip is a great way to help you carry your Summer midi into Fall and Winter, extending the life and CPW (cost per wear) of your skirt.
- Finding the Right Silhouette – Not sure of what silhouette will work best on your body shape? If you’re more petite or on the longer leaner side a more fitted pencil or column skirt might do you some justice. For the petite it helps give the illusion of longer legs, and for the already lean in helps accentuate those double duty assets. Be sure to pair with neutral shoes or in a similar shade to your midi skirt like in rule #1. For those women who are more pear shaped or apple shaped meaning you have larger busts and/or broader shoulders, a fuller/flared out midi skirt will help balance out your body proportions. This gives the illusion of an hourglass figure by nipping in at the smallest part of your natural waist, NOT your hips! For the apple shaped, the skirt adds volume to the lower half of your body so you aren’t so top heavy, by balancing out your overall look, and for the pear shaped it helps to camouflage your lower half and accentuates that nipped in waist! A fuller skirt can actually help “add” curves for any body type as it will always give the illusion of a much narrower waist!
- Let Your Socks Peek Out – With Fall right around the corner, add a little bit of warmth and draw attention to your midi with some great booties and a pair of sleek yet warm socks. It’s a styling move that will show you thought about the details!
- Casual Cool – Nothing is better than a great vintage tshirt! Tuck that baby in to give yourself an immediate downtown cool look and top it off with a great leather or denim jacket for an easy win. Now not all might feel so inclined, but I can’t wait to rock this skirt with my adidas superstars sneakers for a casual look. I love my micro pleat skirts with them!
For my LA Cool Girl Wannabe look I wore my white midi skirt with double side slits along with this super cute and structured Keepsake the Label crop top! It has a little front slit and so it almost peplums out a bit and has a great modern print on it. I opted for neutral strappy heels to blend in with the look. I have been obsessed with the Le Specs and the pink color matched the crop top. I wore this look in LA for the Jason Bourne movie premier!
CROP TOP: Keepsake the Label (on major sale now) || WHITE COLUMN MIDI SKIRT: Nordstrom | Topshop wrap midi with pleat detail | Ming Wang black column skirt | ASOS wrap midi pencil | ASOS midi skirt with tier peplum hem | ASOS cable knit midi skirt || SUNGLASSES: Le Specs on major SALE for $36 on ASOS website I purchased at Nordstrom in case these sell out on asos website! Also available in other colors || HEELS: Steve Madden “blush nude” Slithur Sandal ||