Leather and Lace are an ultimate statement for us women! Both exude an elegant yet sexy appeal and either element adds a chic luxe element to your look. Combine both elements in one and you get an edgy sophisticated look. I wore this look a few weeks ago when we had some amazing weather in Dallas still and wasn’t ready to hang up those fab leather pants I purchased at Zara in NYC during Fashion Week! They have so much great detail in the zippers and ribbed Moto knee patches and they were under $75! They have had them 2 years in a row so definitely keep your eyes peeled in the fall if you are loving these. They look to be sold out online, but they may get re-stocks or some stores may have them in their inventories. The lace top is from Zara too and has the prettiest little 3/4 length bell sleeves. The large scale lace is really mesmerizing to me and I’m obsessed with the large scalloped detailing along the edges, such a modern twist to a sophisticated staple! To add an extra style element to this look I chose to layer on my sleeveless trench and a hat for a modern western look.
For me, the fun thing about lace or leather is that they can play so many different roles to an outfit; sophisticated, daring, sexy, sleek, playful, dainty, flirty, dark, soft, mystical, weathered, timeless – the possibilities are endless. It’s all in how you add the element(s) together or what type of piece you choose. Take my lace shirt for example, had I worn it with some cute denim shorts and some nude flat sandals with a neutral bucket bag or woven straw tote and my shirt would have taken on a whole different persona. I would have looked a little less Miss Texan gun-slinger-six-shooter and a little more soft and summer chic.
And you are never too young or old to try adding either element to your wardrobe arsenal! I believe its all in the pieces you choose. For me if you want them to remain timeless and chic first of all opt for neutral pieces like white, nude, black. You don’t want to run out and purchase a hot pink deep V shirt if you are looking for ONE long time wear and TWO to channel chic not eeekk. Not that a fun colored lace piece can’t be great, just be conscious of your long-term style goals for what you purchase. Here’s a quick guideline to keep in mind for purchasing leather or lace!
- NEUTRAL – Opt for pieces that are neutral in color (nude, white or black) especially lace, bright colors can quickly take a quick turn in to a juvenile or an overly racy appearance.
- LIFETIME APPEAL – Choose pieces that you can keep within your wardrobe for years or seasons to come by choosing sophisticated styles
- AGE APPROPRIATE – Don’t immediately (or preferably ever) go for a neon colored lace with a plunging neckline or a mini leather skirt, there are way too many fabulously chic options out there! Most importantly be conscientious of your body type and what will work for it.
- STATEMENT PIECE – Opt for pieces that speak to your personal style or that have interesting detailing like a wrap leather mini skirt (like in my previous post), a great leather moto pant or a beautifully intricate detailed top like the one featured here. Statement pieces can be worn different ways with other garments, while a beautiful lace dress is always on point it can’t quite be reworked with your wardrobe the same way.
- QUALITY – Quality is definitely greater than quantity. It doesn’t have to be insanely expensive though, plenty of places such as Zara have great options that are well under $100! Just pay attention to the construction and fabrics used.
Oh EM gEE! Update…
Literally our last few weeks have been INSANE! Hence my apologetic absence! I managed to get one post finished for Memorial Weekend while we were on vacation, but have definitely been slacking. I had the worst sinus cold I’ve had in years for like a week and Tyler was traveling so I had Theo by myself, then as soon as he got home and I was feeling somewhat improved Theo had an awful night of sleep, and I literally couldn’t figure out what his deal was. He had fever and he was thrashing himself around in his bed and so I tried snuggling him for comfort, but it only helped so much. In the early morning I realized he had small red spots around his mouth and my stomach sank. I called immediately and took him in to his Pediatrician and she confirmed the worst, hand foot and mouth. Ugh. We were literally one week away from our Disney World vacation for his second birthday!! She assured me that within a week he would be fine to go, but I obviously fretted about his poor little face and all the fun amazing moments I had hoped to capture. (insert tear emoji) I know it sounds super vain – because it is almost, but I wanted him to feel his best for our fun plans to celebrate having our little guy for two years running!
All I can say is that HFM is the most pitiful illness for a child so young! They are in so much pain and you can’t really explain or reason with them about their discomfort. Every time he did finally nap I would go in his room and put my hands on him and just pray for God to lend comfort and quick healing to him. I think it’s so important to pray over your children and with your children. God is a God of grace and mercy, peace and compassion, healing and understanding. It doesn’t matter how BIG or small our wants or desires are, we are able to bring them all to Him. He cares and more importantly He wants to hear from you. He wants that relationship with you in your life. I am beyond grateful that God did grant quick healing to my baby, but I am even more grateful for a God like him who loves me at my best, and even more loves me at my worst!
1 John 5:14-15 “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us – whatever we ask – we know that we have asked of Him.”